The Department of Food Technology (DFT), one of four departments of the School of Biotechnology (SBT), International University (IU), was established by IU on October 27, 2010 and the Bachelor of Engineering in Food Technology (BE FT) program was officially accredited by VNU-HCM in August 2011 with the Education and Training Code of 52.42.02.04. This program delivers the degree called “Kỹ Sư Công nghệ Thực phẩm” in Vietnamese and “Bachelor of Engineering in Food Technology (BE FT)” in English. This was an extraordinary effort and coordination between the leaderships of VNU-HCM and IU to make the events happened in an expedite manner. The Department is therefore the first in the country that offers the accredited degree of BE FT using English in teaching and research, and devoting to the development of food technology field in Vietnam. The Department aspirations were developed based on the Vietnamese roots to address the urgent needs of the country and to prepare new generations of graduates capable of working at the interface of agricultural and food science and engineering.The students will study and do a research using the convenient class rooms, modern apparatus equipped laboratories, and the library with many textbooks and learning resources. The graduates from the FT program have been employed at the big food companies and corporations such as Masan, Cheiljedang Co., …
At present, The DFT has 06 full-time lecturers (2 Assoc. Professors and 4 PhDs) , 03 teaching assistants and 03 laboratory technicians.The staffs and students of the FT Department are very active in their research activities both in basic research and applied research. The faculty and staff obtained many grants from Vietnamese institutions and agencies such as: IU, VNU-HCM, and NAFOSTED.During a period of 2010 – 2015, the staffs have published 36 articles in the international journals, in which 19 articles published in the ISI journals (SCI and SCIE) and 29 articles in the national journals. They have also published one book, three book chapters and numerous articles reported in international conference proceedings.
The objectives of the Food Technology Program at the International University are determined based on the following important foundations:
- Strategies for the development of Vietnam National University - HCM city
- Demands for high-qualified workforce in Vietnam and the Region.
- Implementing the education and training models used in developed countries, aiming at seeking for potential cooperation in research and training with international partners.
The Food Technology program at the International University is designed to provide IU students, who will obtain a Bachelor degree in Food Technology with a title of Food Engineer, with:
- A broad, but balanced range of knowledge in food sciences and food engineering.
- Basic knowledge in food management (including food production, food quality and safety, and environmental management).
- Emphasis on the development of practical skills and the capability of accessing advanced technology.
- The entire training provided in English.The proficiency in English specialized in Food Engineering will be a unique advantage of the workforce provided from the International University. Upon graduation, students should have an English proficiency of TOEFL pBT 550 or equivalent (60 TOEFL iBT, 6.0 IELTS).
The curriculum is for two main divisions: (1) food production and processing, and (2) food management and services, with flexible elective courses for the two divisions, accordingly.
1. Engineers in food production and processing will be equipped:
- With basic knowledge in biology, food chemistry, food microbiology and food engineering.
- With depth knowledge in food production processes, food product development, food quality and production management.
2. Engineers in food service and management will be equipped:
- With basic knowledge in food sciences and technology.
- With optional food management, food trade and services: food safety and hygiene, food analysis, community nutrition, project management, food product management and marketing, etc.